(roll over for info)
The project has been completed.
SVTA1023: Metadata Landscape
The evolution of content distribution models over the past decades has introduced a tremendous amount of flexibility for content processing and delivery. The availability of metadata, which provides information related to descriptive, business, and technical aspects of content, is needed to take advantage of advanced content streaming approaches. Commonly used metadata approaches primarily serve static distribution models. Additionally, there are a lack of solutions available that provide a consistent, user-friendly, and efficient approach to managing metadata. This document provides a starting point for understanding metadata usage and challenges and looks at organizations that have developed metadata-related standards.
Goals and Objectives
- To aggregate existing research within the group to create an “ingest metadata landscape” document that clearly identifies the challenges which need to be addressed.
- A list of common metadata terms and definitions used when providing content to OTT streaming platforms
- An identification of current metadata standards, formats, and ontologies
- An analysis of those current efforts and where they succeed and fail in helping to standardize metadata ingest terminology
- Any current technology solutions which can be applied to address this challenge
- A recommendation of specific metadata terms or definitions
- A recommendation of specific existing standards and/or technology solutions
There are no additional references or other required readings need to participate in this project.